Skip to main content

Sunitha and Her Little One


This is Sunitha with her little one. The big spot on the baby is to ward off the evil spirits. There is another by her ear. All the babies here are running around with spots on various places.

Sunitha is about 80 lbs of dynamite. She wrangles all the preschoolers and may be the only preschool educator in the state to sing nursery rhymes in Hindi, Telegu, and English to her class. After the preschoolers go home, she teaches drawing and referees games of "Red Rover" and "Red Light/Green Light" for the 1st and 2nd Standard children.

Today, I walked into the neighborhood towards the school at the usual time after dropping Campbell off at her preschool. It was quiet. Too quiet. Where were all the little kids who flap around me every time I turn onto the street, screaming "HI AUNTIE?" I walked and walked. I saw the littlest ones stuck to their mommies like baby opossums, but no other children. This is WIERD. I reached the gate to the courtyard where we have our hut. Then it struck me and I giggled so hard. The kids were in SCHOOL. They were in the school! I've been smiling all day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Monday, August 18, I was so happy to return to see the Rainbow School. The teachers have made a plan to shift from Telugu to English medium. My friend at Pratham, one of the largest education NGOs -- serving 5 million children in South Asia and Africa -- agreed to help my teachers. My co-partner, Kalpana, is taking the lead on a facilities upgrade. She will oversee an upgrade to the preschool and main building. Kalpana and I have found donors in India and the United States. The children were sharp, completely up on their marks. The teachers were creative, driven, relentless. More to come!

New Headmaster

Today we heard the news that our headmistress, Vijaya Laxmi, will be moving on to a new school. This suits the team at the Rainbow School very well, they needed a leader who was interested to engage the community. We do not know who our new headmaster will be, but we understand it will be a very senior man, one year from retirement. He will come with a junior who will take on the headmistress role after he leaves. More will come from our great, fabulous Mandal Education Officer, Jaganmohan Chary. Here is a picture of our first headmistress, Usha Rani, who was a stellar leader and has volunteered to help with the transition to the new headmaster.