Skip to main content

Alpha Girls


These girls are the Alpha Girls. They never miss a day of school, and rank at the top of the fifth standard class. The intensity of their attachment to their teachers and the school is remarkable. They stay and watch our teacher's meetings, soaking in every bit of the interaction. They have even formed a student committee, chasing down students who are tardy or skipping class. (We tried making a parent committee, but they all work during school hours!)

We are so lucky to have these girls!

Their future plans are all to become teachers. I will enjoy watching them over the coming years.

Comments

  1. Hi Leigh, I love your blog and love reading about the school. I work in technology and come to Hyderabad a couple of times a year. I would like to help. How can I get involved? Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rod!
    Welcome to India... we would love to have you come by and see the new building. Give your opinion on the tech needs (wireless hub, computers) and I'll use your advice to get organized for a tech donation. Kids like to hear from professionals, so be prepared to talk about yourself (translated by one of our teachers in Telugu).

    Cheers!
    Leigh Anne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a Message

Popular posts from this blog

On Monday, August 18, I was so happy to return to see the Rainbow School. The teachers have made a plan to shift from Telugu to English medium. My friend at Pratham, one of the largest education NGOs -- serving 5 million children in South Asia and Africa -- agreed to help my teachers. My co-partner, Kalpana, is taking the lead on a facilities upgrade. She will oversee an upgrade to the preschool and main building. Kalpana and I have found donors in India and the United States. The children were sharp, completely up on their marks. The teachers were creative, driven, relentless. More to come!

New Headmaster

Today we heard the news that our headmistress, Vijaya Laxmi, will be moving on to a new school. This suits the team at the Rainbow School very well, they needed a leader who was interested to engage the community. We do not know who our new headmaster will be, but we understand it will be a very senior man, one year from retirement. He will come with a junior who will take on the headmistress role after he leaves. More will come from our great, fabulous Mandal Education Officer, Jaganmohan Chary. Here is a picture of our first headmistress, Usha Rani, who was a stellar leader and has volunteered to help with the transition to the new headmaster.